Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Well, that didn't take long ...

Mark now supports the impeachment of George Bush after reading an article by Jerome Corsi over at WorldNetDaily. I'm not terribly surprised by this given his complete and utter willingness to believe Russian conspiracy theories about the US planning a massive attack on Iran to coincide with Good Friday. It is also clear to me upon reading his completely hysterical rant that he has little to know understanding whatsoever as to what "martial law" as viewed by the original Founding Fathers actually meant. Mark's argument that Bush should not have martial law power as a result of the decision to go to war in Iraq likewise displays an appauling ignorance of the Constitution.

Also, whatever Corsi's political leanings his source of venue doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the veracity of the story. As anyone with a critical reading of the news is likely already aware, WorldNetDaily has a well-established history for being one of the most alarmist websites on the conservative internet. Most of its original reporting, such as claims that al-Qaeda has planted nuclear devices inside the United States and is ready to detonate them any day now, do not exactly inspire confidence. But given that the proximate source of this hysteria is coming from a guy who has repeatedly assured us that no sir, he doesn't hate George Bush one bit and only offers the bare minimum of criticism towards him, I would again note that his claims of an absence of animus are once again looking less and less credible.

As I noted to Dave Armstrong some time ago, it is crackpot stuff like this (Bush preparing to declare himself dictator with what, his 30% approval ratings?) that leads me to continue blogging here. The Catholic Church deserves better social and political commentary than this kind of black helicopter conspiracism.

7 comments:

Pauli said...

I guess I'm kind of hoping that he put that post there as a joke, you know, just to "bait the fog guys". Maybe that makes me a conspiracy theorist, but I can't bring myself to believe that a guy who has taken it upon himself to write books about the holy Virgin and the holy Church can really be such a screaming hippy politically.

Susan B. said...

I lost all respect for WorldNetDaily back when they were doing Y2K fearmongering stories eight years ago. At the same time they were whipping up that hysteria, they had banner ads for Y2K "survival" supplies.

(Also, I remember back when various kooks were saying that Clinton would declare martial law and become a dictator because he signed a similar executive order. This was to happen after the Y2K catastrophe.)

It looks like I've picked the right time to stop reading Mark Shea's site. He's really gone off the deep end.

Anonymous said...

If he means this seriously ( and there's every indication that he does) I am starting to fear for Shea's sanity, and I'm not kidding. His hatred of George Bush and his opposition to the Iraq War and what he sees as "torture" seem to have driven him off the deep end, no figure of speech, actually driven him into some sort of paranoid delusion. If he's not there yet, he's getting really close, and I mean REALLY close. Shea's opposition to the Iraq War is at least defensible, but there's no defending this...

Tschafer

Anonymous said...

Actually, I rather like Shea's idea about impeaching Bush. I'd love to have Cheney as President!
;-)

"Anonymous 1"

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1:

I concur. Whenever anyone trots out the "Dick Cheney is the one really in charge" canard, my response is usually "I wish."

Christopher Blosser said...

But . . . but . . . Dick Cheney wants more Abu Ghraibs! (Mark Shea). ;-)

Pauli said...

This is "post-apology", but I couldn't stop thinking that the general "impeach-Bush-for-imperial-overreach" crowd are really desiring that the legislature practice overreach on the same scale since there are no high crimes or misdemeanors extant. (Yes, yes, I know that to those with acute BDS, the mere smirk of Mr. Chimpy qualifies as an atrocity....)